6 - 8 Weeks before moving:
- Keep receipts on your new household items, as these can be tax deductible.
- If moving with children begin exploring school options and requirements at your new home.
- Check all passports are valid and arrange all consular procedures.
5 Weeks before moving:
- Check on vaccination requirements and arrange for if necessary. Sometimes vaccines must be done four weeks before departure.
- Arrange for mail to be redirected.
- Can your drivers license be used at your new residence? If not, make arrangements.
4 Weeks before moving:
- Obtain your family's medical and dental records and notify the medical authorities that you are leaving the country.
- Arrange transfer of school records.
- Begin consuming or disposing of frozen foods as these cannot be shipped.
- Check home owners’ insurance policy to see if moving is covered. -Determine value of inventory for insurance purposes. -
- Notify your children's school and arrange for school records to be forwarded to the new school.
- Obtain all necessary visas, work permits and residency permits.
- Make arrangements to open bank and credit card accounts at destination and request bank and credit references for use overseas.
- Transfer or cancel any publications, organizations, clubs and associations you are a member of.
3 Weeks before moving:
- Decide which items are to be moved or donated to charity.
- Consume all flammables and aerosols before you move as these cannot be shipped.
- Notify magazines to which you subscribe about your new address. -Be certain the new residence is ready.
2 Weeks before moving:
- Advise everyone of your change of address (post office, insurance companies, credit card companies, DHSS, bank, relatives, friends etc).
- Discontinue utilities and delivery service on the specified date i.e. Milk Man, papers etc.
- Cancel all membership agreements i.e. sports club, video library etc.
- Draw up a floor plan of your new home and indicate placement of furnishings.
1 Week before moving:
- Gather important medicines and papers i.e. passports, visas and permits etc, for personal transport to new residence.
- Clean outdoor items (e.g. garden tools, out door furniture).
- Make arrangements with your neighbours to allow enough parking for our vehicles on the day of the move.
- Ensure that you have labelled everything clearly, i.e. sea/air/do not pack/storage etc., for our packers.
- Start packing your own suitcases for personal transport.
- Return any borrowed items i.e. books, videos, DVDs etc.
2 Days before Moving:
- Make sure you have allocated a parking space for our vehicle on moving day.
- Defrost your freezer, disconnect washing machine etc and drain all hoses.
- Keep aside any documentation you will require for your travel, so they are not accidentally packed.
- Prepare your luggage for your trip to your new residence.
- Let our packers know what items you will require immediately at your new residence, so they are loaded last into the container.
- Keep aside any documentation you will require for your travel i.e. passports, visas, work permits etc, so they are not accidentally packed.
- Leave new contact details to the new occupants of your home.
- Remember to keep aside your own suitcases for personal transport.
- It is also advisable you personally take with you all original versions of essential documents, i.e. birth certificates, educational certificates and awards etc.
- Before the Smooth Movers truck departs have one last look around to see that nothings been left behind.